Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Devestation of Devine Delusion

Funny...

...I just came off being on Gene Cook's "Unchained Radio". And I dunno about these christians....

I presented my "Argument from Devine Delusion (AfDD)" argument, and... I dunno... I suspect Gene is either being deliberately obtuse, or I dunno. It's like he isn't even listening to 5% of what I'm saying.

First, he when I present the Fristianity refutation of his "impossibility of the contrary" he goes back and back and back and back to the fact that I am posting a Christian-like worldview for the sake of argument, even though I repeatedly stated exactly why I did this in my introduction, he went back to the completely vacuous canard that "You see, to try to refute me you have to posit something christian-like".

No I don't, but to get you to listen to me I have to posit something Christian-like. And then, while positing something Christian-like I demonstrate that there is an infinite set of Christian-like views that all satisfy your "criteria" (and probably an infinite set of non-christian-like, but it'll be much more painful to get him to admit that, which is exactly the reason for the Christian-like example), meaning, the "impossibility of the contrary" argument is refuted, and the modal logic gets to ~G from there (God doesn't exist) which has been shown previously.

But that's okay, I don't expect a presupper to ever admit to be refuted on his own turf - so I took it to mine; the "Devine Delusion" argument.

But it's so funny... it's like these people don't have ears on.

After I quit, some maroon called in and claimed some "argument" against mine which was so inanely stupid that it was clear the two braincells he had probably had overheated trying to find the right side up on the telephone or something. I had explicitly and clearly explained my argument, and yet he comes in with a completely irrelevant "refutation" saying "But if a god is delusional he can't be omnnicient- HAH!"

Well, knucklehead, that's my point. And that some random calling cuckoo can say that is understandable, but then having Gene say "that's a good argument" made my heart sink. At least I thought Gene had grokked what I said.


But it was quite clear that he hadn't, or that he was desperately grasping at straws since I had clearly, and irrefutably, nullified a basic principle of his worldview. (And I'm not kidding, I honestly believe the AfDD is that strong - it completely refutes omniscience and shows it to be a logically incoherent concept.)

But it was funnies at all, at the end, though, when Gene refuted himself. He said, quoting from memory, "Well, I dont allow arguments with hypothetical gods, because then my impossibility of the contrary argument doesn't work"

LOL. I almost fell of my chair. He said, in princple, "I don't like your type of argument, because they prove me wrong, and therefore I don't allow them". ROFL. Big score for Atheism there, and by Gene of all people!! It was really funny.

I dunno, we'll see when Jonathan comes back if he dares to actually interact with my real argument, but I doubt it. My experience is that Gene's intellectual honesty has actually gone backwards since Jonathan arrived on the show, because they do way too much high-fiving of eachother and too much "checkup from the neckup" nonsense. It's "funny" but with very little substance.

No, the AfDD reigned supreme tonight, and I hope any intellectually honest listeners (assuming Gene has any) sees that. I honestly hope to see some converts from this, or at least some really juicy crisis of faith. That would be sweet. ;)

/Z

1 comment:

Pär & Linnea said...

Wow Gene and the callers really seemed to miss the point you were making! I must say you got a pretty "devastating" argument there and would be nice to see you address it with someone who listens and interacts with your arguments. Listening to Gene through out the whole program made me feel ashamed for being a Christian. I wonder if he ever listens to himself sometimes. Oh well….


Ps. Göteborg äger ;)